Skip to main content

star wars - Is it the Good side or the Light side?


Currently a friend and I are arguing about what the sides of the force are called. What I want to know is if the opposite of the dark side is called the light side or the good side.



Answer






  • Han Solo calls it the Light Side of the Force in The Force Awakens:



    REY: The Jedi were real.



    HAN: I used to wonder about that myself. I thought it was a bunch of mumbo jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and light. The crazy thing is it's true. The Force. The Jedi. All of it. It's all true.





  • Kylo Ren calls it the Light Side in The Force Awakens:



    KYLO REN: Forgive me. I feel it again. The call to the light. The Supreme Leader senses it. Show me again. The power of darkness. And I will let nothing stand in our way.






  • Maz Kanata calls it the Light Side in The Force Awakens:



    MAZ KANATA: I am no Jedi, but I know the Force. It moves through and surrounds every living thing. Close your eyes. Feel it. The light... It's always been there. It will guide you.





  • Supreme Leader Snoke calls it the Light Side in the first trailer for The Force Awakens:



    SNOKE: There has been an awakening... have you felt it? The dark side... and the light.






  • Many of the Star Wars video games also call it the Light Side:


    enter image description here






However it can also be referred to as the "Good Side", as Luke does in Return of the Jedi when speaking of turning Vader from the Dark Side:



LEIA: But why must you confront him?



LUKE: Because there is good in him. I've felt it. He won't turn me over to the emperor. I can save him. I can turn him back to the good side. I have to try.




It is called the "Light Side" of the Force, though "good side" is also acceptable. More often it is simply referred to as "the Force", "the way of the Force", or "the way of the Jedi".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...