Skip to main content

star wars - How is Anakin’s nickname spelt?



This question was inspired by Valorum’s answer to the question on what the Tuskens did with Shmi Skywalker.


In it, he quotes the following from the official Attack of the Clones novelisation:



Annie was her comfort, her place to hide from the pain the Tuskens had, and were, exacting upon her battered body.



Shmi (as it were) uses her usual nickname for her son, Anakin, which is pronounced /ˡani/. In this instance, it is spelt Annie, like the familiar female name/pet form of Anne.


Having seen most of the Star Wars movies with subtitles (usually either English or Danish)1 at one point or another, this surprised me, because the only spelling I have ever seen in subtitles is Ani, which I have to admit is at least a bit less gender-bendy than Annie. It never even occurred to me, truth be told, that Anakin’s nickname was homophonous with the female name.


Now I don’t know offhand where the subtitlers got their spelling from—movie scripts are frequently made available to subtitlers, but not always, and they may have had other means of enquiry as well—so I cannot say for certain which, if either, is more ‘authentic’.


I’m also not sure if subtitles for the movies or the novelisations should be considered higher canon—they seem about equal to me.


Is there any canon information (including out-of-universe commentary by directors, George Lucas, etc.) on what the preferred spelling of Anakin Skywalker’s nickname is?



If Ani, any info on where the novelisation got Annie from? And if Annie, any info on where the subtitlers got Ani from?




1 I’ve seen one or two with Chinese subtitles, too, but that doesn’t really adduce much—the Chinese form, which I seem to recall is 阿尼, is based on the pronunciation, not the spelling.



Answer



It's "Annie" in the Phantom Menace Script, the Attack of the Clones script and the Revenge of the Sith script.


It's also "Annie" in each of the novels


Phantom Menace Junior novelisation



"Storm’s coming on, Annie. You’d better get home quick"




Phantom Menace Adult novelisation



The old lady smiled. “The heat’s never been kind to me, you know, Annie.”



Attack of the Clones Junior novelisation



"When you say Annie it’s like I’m still a little boy. And I’m not.”



Attack of the Clones Adult novelisation




“Oh, Annie, you’ll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine,” she said



Revenge of the Sith Junior novelisation



And then she took a deep breath and went on. “I’m … Annie, I’m pregnant.”



Revenge of the Sith Adult novelisation



Rising tears burned her eyes, and her lip trembled. “I’m … Annie, I’m pregnant…”




And the Attack of the Clones Cine-Manga


enter image description here


And the Attack of the Clones Graphic Novelisation


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...