Skip to main content

story identification - Looking for a book series about a girl and her friends captured and sold as slaves


I'm trying to find the name of a book series I read about 10 years ago. It might be a children/young-adult series since I was fairly young. There is also a small chance it was written by a french author, as I read it in french. The series is composed of at least three books, maybe more. Here is what I remember :





  • The main character is a poor girl/young woman, but there are several point of view characters




  • At the beginning of the first book the plot is set in a city where rich people live in the city center and the further you go from the center the poorest people are. Moreover, the houses are painted according to the wealth of the owner. It was something like : the richer had red houses, the poorer blue houses, and the moderately wealthy purple (it was not those colors in particular but it was something like that)




  • At the end of one of the book there is some kind of uprising and the people paint all the houses in multiple colorful shades (to symbolize the new found equality between the citizen)





  • At some point the main character and other peoples of the city get captured (maybe after some kind of war the city was involved in), separated and sold to slavery




  • One of them, an older boy, become a soldier and learn a special fighting technique that looks like dancing (and he grows to like it)




  • Another of the captives, a young girl (the sister of the main character if I recall correctly) get marked with a fire-heated mark to show her condition of slave





That is all I remember, I have no clue about the time or geographic setting nor the story details.


I know it's not much to go by, any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to find these books and read them again.



Answer



Could you be thinking of the Wind on Fire series by William Nicholson? There are three books, The Wind Singer, Slaves of the Mastery & Firesong, and they are centered around the lives of brother and sister Kestrel and Bowman Hath. I read them as a kid too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...