Skip to main content

story identification - Protagonist finds coin from a parallel universe, lets it guide him via flipping heads/tails


This is a short story that I read several (5?) years ago. I don't believe it was new, but I don't remember how old it was, either. If I had to guess based on style, I would say that it was probably written sometime in the 80s or 90s.


The protagonist comes across an old coin that isn't from anywhere -- at least, not from anywhere that he or coin dealers or historians can identify. Somehow, he gets the idea that the coin is from another, parallel reality, and he decides that it would "want" to go home, if it could. He starts to travel, and whenever he comes to a decision about where to go next, he lets a coin toss (using that coin) decide the issue. The transition from one reality to another is gradual, not sudden like going through a portal, more like elements of reality being gradually replaced as he goes from one place to another.


Eventually, he does get to the place where the coin originated, at which point the plot (if I'm recalling correctly) devolves into a rescue-the-princess-from-the-clutches-of-the-evil-king/sorcerer/vizier scenario.


The parallel universe that the coin came from is full of deserts and has an "Arabian Nights" flavor. I think the protagonist meets a djinn/genie in the desert when he first gets to the right universe, but that could be something I'm mixing in from a different tale.


I'm drawing blanks on more specific details, but hopefully someone will recognize it from the above.




Answer



You're thinking of Gateway to Elsewhere (1954), aka Journey to Barkut, by Murray Leinster.


The protagonist, Tony Gregg, has a gold coin which he considers to be a good luck charm. An inscription on the coin indicates it's from the apparently non-existent land of Barkut. Tony gets in the habit of flipping the coin to make small decisions, and one day it leads him to meet a man who recognizes the coin and tells Tony that it came from another world.



Tony figures the coin wants to go home, so he uses coin flips to guide himself on a long journey which eventually leads back to Barkut. He learns that Barkut is inhabited by men and Djinn, who are at odds with each other. He has further adventures with the Djinn.



Gateway was reprinted in the 2005 collection A Logic Named Joe. Google Books has a page for Logic which lets you view parts of the book. I have an electronic copy of Logic which I think I downloaded from the Baen Free Library, but it's not available for download there at the moment.


Baen also distributed CDs with electronic copies of their books. The CDs are apparently freely distributable, and I was able to find a site with several CDs for download. Logic appears to be available on some of the CDs. Some googling should lead you to other sites where the CDs and their contents can be downloaded.


Edit: @sean-duggan found a complete copy of A Logic Named Joe freely accessible in HTML form on Baen's websubscriptions site. Gateway to Elsewhere is included.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...