Skip to main content

How much could the Fifth Doctor remember from Time Crash?


In the Doctor Who Children in Need minisode Time Crash, the Fifth and Tenth Doctors briefly meet, and the Tenth saves them from a destructive paradox by cancelling out a supernova with a black hole. He was only able to do this because he had retained his memories of the incident ever since he'd been the Fifth Doctor:



FIVE: Far too brilliant. I've never met anyone else who could fly the TARDIS like that.


TEN: Sorry, mate, you still haven't.


FIVE: You didn't have time to work all that out. Even I couldn't do it!


TEN: I didn't work it out. I didn't have to.


FIVE: You remembered.


TEN: Because you will remember.



FIVE: You remembered being me, watching you doing that... You only knew what to do because I saw you do it.



But we've seen in other multi-Doctor episodes that only the latest incarnation of the Doctor is ever able to remember their shared experiences. From the 50th anniversary special, The Day of the Doctor:



WAR: I won't remember this, will I?


ELEVEN: The time streams are out of sync. You can't retain it, no.



So how come the Fifth Doctor could remember anything at all? And given that he could, how much could he remember? When he finally regenerated into his tenth incarnation, did he think "ah, it's this face - I knew this one was coming"? (Because it sure didn't look like it.) When the Master showed up in Utopia, did he think "ah yes, I remember myself telling me he was going to show up again"?


I realise the answer may just be "timey wimey", but I'm hoping for something a bit better than that.
And this isn't a dupe of this question, which is asking about the bootstrap paradox rather than why the Fifth Doctor could remember anything at all.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...