Skip to main content

novel - Story with multiple 'third planet' races


I'm looking for the name and author of a novel (or possibly novella). I first read this in the seventies, and might be older than that. It might have been written for teenagers.


The story takes place on a planet inhabited by a primitive humanoid race, roughly stone age if I remember rightly. Visiting this planet is a small team from a more advanced race, also humanoid and with spacefaring technology (obviously!). They are either there to help or observe, no nefarious purposes. I think they are avoiding contact with the primitives, at least initially. It's explicitly mentioned that the planet they are visiting is the third one of a medium sized star, just like their own homeworld. Also orbiting round the planet is an even more advanced race, using high tech to remain hidden from both the others. They are observing the whole situation, and again its mentioned that this is a 'third planet', like their own homeworld.


I'm a little bit hazy on the rest of the plot, but I think the super-advanced race end up revealing themselves, even though they are not supposed to.


The story is told from the viewpoints of both the second and third races (maybe also the first, I forget)


EDIT: For the record it turns out my recollection was faulty, and the second race are indeed coming to the planet for nefarious purposes. And the planet is at the medieval stage, not stone age.



Answer



There are some intersections with Enchantress from the Stars by Sylvia Engdahl, but I don't recall "third planet" being stressed anywhere, and the lineup of races isn't quite as you describe. I'm going to describe it just in case your memory misaligned :)



I first read this in the seventies, and might be older than that. It might have been written for teenagers.




It was published in the 70s as a "young-adult" novel. The writing style might be a little thick for pre-teens; I re-read it recently and realized I'd been spoiled by the spoon-feeding of modern YA :).



The story takes place on a planet inhabited by a primitive humanoid race, roughly stone age if I remember rightly.



The planet's home race is in a medieval state, with a king and knights mentioned. However, the setting is purely rural; the only interactions with a native are with a woodcutter.



Visiting this planet is a small team from a more advanced race, also humanoid and with spacefaring technology (obviously!). They are either there to help or observe, no nefarious purposes. I think they are avoiding contact with the primitives, at least initially.



The "Federation" (in later books, the "Service") is a multi-race agency of spacefaring observers, committed to watching races grow towards maturity and eventual inclusion in the Federation. There are very strict prohibitions against revelation to immature races, on the lines of Star Trek's "Prime Directive"; agents are expected to die before revealing their nature.




Also orbiting round the planet is an even more advanced race, using high tech to remain hidden from both the others. They are observing the whole situation,



This is where the analogy breaks down. In Enchantress, the third race is of middling advancement - spacefaring, but immature. They have arrived to rape the natural resources and consider the natives primitives without rights.



but I think the super-advanced race end up revealing themselves, even though they are not supposed to



In the end, the Federation agents reveal themselves in a limited way to a native, in order to manipulate him into scaring the attackers away. Finding a limited way - and making it out alive despite it not going as planned - are the culmination of the book.



The story is told from the viewpoints of both the second and third races (maybe also the first, I forget)




Yes, all three races have viewpoints; the woodcutter for the natives, and IIRC two viewpoints ("resolute commander" and "conscience-stricken soldier") for the invaders, and Elena the Federation agent. The majority of the book is from Elena's viewpoint.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...