Skip to main content

story identification - Looking for a book with a humanoid alien group called the "Red Bar" (due to a scar across their butts) who fight against human marines in power suits


The story is about a tribal culture on another planet who worship something called "the light". Human marines in power suits conquer them.


The story focuses on one group who fought against the invaders called the "red bar" something or other. (jarem I think, but it was so long ago...) They got the name red bar because as kids they were watching adults training for battle, something they were not supposed to do, and the person who caught them whipped them with some sort of weapon that left a scar across their butts.


I have searched the internet exhaustively for it but I can't remember the author or the book title. I likely read it in the 80's so it would have been published about 30 years ago.



Answer



You are thinking of "The Jaren," a novella by Barry B. Longyear. (You had just one letter wrong in your memory of the alien word that was invented by Longyear for the occasion.) I first read it around the mid-1980s . . . in other words, at roughly the same time that you did. Checking just now, I see that it was originally published in Asimov's SF Adventure Magazine, Fall 1979, but I know I encountered it as a reprinted story in an anthology. I even remember the title of the book: Isaac Asimov's Adventures of Science Fiction, which ISFDB says was actually edited by George Scithers.


That anthology was first published in 1980, and I know I checked out a hardback copy from my local public library a few years later. I suspect that might be the same way you stumbled across it, way back when! Here's a scan of the front and spine of the book jacket; it might ring a bell in your memory.


enter image description here



Incidentally, the ISFDB entry tells me that the story was published, in that volume, under the byline of "Frederick Longbeard." Apparently it was published that way in the magazine, originally, and my best guess would be that George Scithers chose to keep that pen name on it when he included "The Jaren" in this anthology, so as to avoid accusations of blatant favoritism when he also included another story which carried the "Barry B. Longyear" byline. (Don't get me wrong -- I enjoyed reading both stories when I first saw them, as well as several other things in that book, and so I'm not accusing Scithers of making lousy selections regarding what to include.)


I can assure you that your memory of some of the main plot elements is reasonably accurate. The tired old alien ex-warrior who is telling his life story to a human does, in fact, say that when five boys were all caught spying on somebody, they all got a minor burn across their backsides as a disciplinary measure, and then one of them -- the natural leader of the group -- suggested that the best way to save face was to make a virtue of necessity by saying that the five of them would now form a "jaren" (a squad of five friends who would train to fight together) whose official warpaint (each new jaren got to pick its own) would involve a red bar of paint across that portion of their anatomies. Of course, it was inevitable that word would quickly get around about what had happened and why they wore their paint in that spot, to cover the burn scar, but it would still put a more positive spin on the whole thing!


At the time of the framing sequence that begins and ends the story, it's decades later, and the other members of that jaren are long dead, after trouble with the humans escalated into a bloody war which superior human technology won. (Plus the fact that the alien warriors had an elaborate "honor code" which badly handicapped them at first in the ways and means they would use, or refuse to use, in clashing with humans.)


The alien telling the story-within-a-story concludes by saying that the birthrate among his people has dropped down to zero (or something very close) since the conquest, which he thinks shows that his people still have their pride, and refuse to just become subjugated slaves or whatever, generation after generation. The human narrator of the framing sequence is very disturbed by this perspective on what has happened to this planet's native population as a result of human interference.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...