Skip to main content

game of thrones - Why was Shae in the Tower of the Hand?


I haven't read the books yet, but I have been watching and re-watching and re-watching again, the show. And nowhere since he first appeared on the screen Tywin Lannister seemed like the kind of person who will use the service of a whore. Let alone share one with his son.


But sure enough, from reading about the fourth season finale a little bit, it seems that this part was more or less true to the books. So Shae was with Tywin the night Tyrion was sprung out, and it seems to hint that Shae and Tywin "did the deed".


So I wonder if the books reveal a different Tywin than Charles Dance's excellent acting?



Answer




If one pays close attention to what Tywin says to Tyrion, one can notice, as Theik says in his answer, that he is not opposed to visiting whores, only in doing so publicly. For example, he says



"You will not bring the whore to court."



(I.e. "keep her out of sight".) And



"You're done with whores. The next one I find in your bed, I'll hang."



(I.e. "make sure I don't find her".) And of course, we are familiar with the story of Tysha, the common girl that Tywin "made" into a whore by allowing his soldiers to rape her.


The foreshadowing of Tywin's derogatory view of prostitutes is his father's relationship with a woman who was "a common born woman, daughter of a candlemaker". Lord Tytos was not a strong lord, and this woman took liberties that according to Tywin shamed house Lannister. He therefore upon his father's death punished her by stripping her naked and running her out of town.




"I was made to suffer my father's follies. I will not suffer yours."
-- Tywin to Tyrion



If one pays close attention to an earlier Tyrion chapter, where Tyrion and Varys discuss a hidden entrance to the brothel that Tyrion uses as cover:



[Tyrion:] "How is it a brothel happens to have a secret entrance?"


[Varys:] "The tunnel was dug for another King's Hand, whose honor would not allow him to enter such a house openly. Chataya has closely guarded the knowledge of its existence."



We do not know for sure, of course, but Tywin was Hand of the King for a good long time, during Aerys' reign.



With all this in mind, it does look as though Tywin has a rather warped relationship to prostitutes. He takes every chance to humiliate and punish them in public -- like he whipped Alayaya because he thought Tyrion had slept with her -- while in private, they are his guilty pleasure.


But of course, the only real evidence is that we know he slept with Shae.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...