Skip to main content

marvel - Why is no mutant from X-men series a member of S.H.I.E.L.D?


S.H.I.E.L.D is a group of members involved in saving Earth. All of those characters are fictional characters from Marvel comics. Mutants from the X-Men books are also fictional characters from Marvel comics. So why aren't any mutants from the X-Men series also members of S.H.I.E.L.D?



Answer



In the comics (Earth 616, Ultimates, etc)


For the most part, the X-Men are considered a "rogue" group. They operate outside the law and generally eschew outside authority (X-Factor being the exception to this).


As such, most mutants - and especially X-Men, would have little interest in joining up with what is effectively a government controlled military group.


That said, Skids - a Morlock, and a member of X-Factor and the X-Terminators did become an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.


Kitty Pryde was recruited by the then-acting commander (G.W. Bridge) to become a temporary agent of S.H.I.E.L.D



More recently, Alison Blaire, a.k.a Dazzler has been recruited to S.H.I.E.L.D as a former X-Man who may help provide insight into Scott Summers' line of thought.



However, she has been secretly replaced by Mystique.



In the cinematic/TV universe (Earth 199999)


The primary reason behind the separation is, as others have pointed out, an issue of rights. Rights to all mutant franchises and references to them, as well as the Fantastic Four and are owned by Fox, while Marvel holds rights to S.H.I.E.L.D and the Avengers and related properties (and Sony still owns rights to the Spider-Man). As such, the mutants do not currently exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe - with a small pseudo-exception of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, who will not be mutants in the MCU.


Beyond that, a distinction must be made in regards to being a member of S.H.I.E.L.D, and a member of the Avengers. Currently, in the MCU, no super-powered being exists as a member of S.H.I.E.L.D - only as a member of the Avengers (remember that Black Widow and Hawkeye are merely highly trained agents with exceptional abilities).


Edit: The recent Captain America: The Winter Soldier trailer mentions Cap saying that he "joined S.H.I.E.L.D" at some point. Exactly when this happened is unclear. He worked with/for them during The Avengers, but I never got the impression that any of the Avengers aside from Black Widow and Hawkeye were official agents.


During the course of The Avengers movie, the council which governs S.H.I.E.L.D shows disapproval of counting on super-powered beings. While Director Fury and his men on the ground may be OK fighting alongside the Avengers, it is entirely possible that S.H.I.E.L.D's governing body may restrict super-powered beings from being actual agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...