Skip to main content

story identification - Novel, group transported to a fantasy world, wild/chaos magic


I was reading this question and was strongly reminded of a series I remember reading in my teens. This would have been a series of novels (possibly just one), published in English, and likely before 1980 - I read it in the 90s and it was fairly old, a used book. I do not think it is the same as the linked question, which is why I'm asking this separately. It was definitely a fantasy, not sci-fi.


Plot:


At least two girls (and possibly also some boys/other girls) are transported from modern Earth into a fantasy world. I think they're a group of friends, possibly with some romantic pairings, and are in the 16-25 age range. The first significant scene I remember is two of the girls ending up in a city, where they are taken in by an older female artist (might have been a different creative type, like a sculptor/actress). She's lesbian/bisexual. At some point she attempts to give one of the girls a love potion, but they reverse it on her, so instead the artist falls in love with the girl and accompanies her for the rest of the books.


Twist: It's later revealed that the artist's friends recognized the love potion and removed it. She pretended to be in love and went along because she thought it would be interesting.


At some point at least one of the girls ends up basically being a magical sex slave/prostitute. I remember her being tattooed or painted - I think in blue - and also possibly given some magical jewellery/piercings that ensure her obedience/love of her owner.



I do not remember much of the over-arching plot, just a few disjointed pieces:


The world has chaos/wild magic storms. The books might have called them something else. Anyone or anything caught by these storms is transformed into something else entirely, so different objects or species. These show up throughout as minor plot encounters. I think they can be defended against with a special material. Near the very end, a large storm engulfs a major city, giving it entirely new architecture and transforming the inhabitants into green, hermaphrodites with a centaurish body structure.


I am not 100% sure this was the same novel, but I recall a secondary character with a secret - at night he turns into a woman (not just his body, but an entirely different person). At some point it's revealed that the woman was his lover, and he saved her life by sharing his body with her - of course, now they can never meet/touch again.



Answer



That's Jack Chalker's 'Changewinds' series.


Your recollection of it is actually pretty good; the girls (Charley and Sam) are transported to Akahlar, which is sort of a hub between various worlds. The 'changewinds' are the feared wild-magic that can pretty much change anything into anything else, although it seems to backfill the natures, such that the new products were possibilities that were just never realized. (A common theme in Chalker's works, as is the modification of identity/mind/ gender and so forth. See the 'Well of Souls' series for the UR example).


The tattoo artist with the love potion is pretty much as you remember, but she keeps with them because she realizes she was stagnating in her career before the confused thing. She does the conversion on Charley, as I recall, giving her a super-sex-toy body, an all-over butterfly styled tattoo, but things stop just short of her getting the last potion that will lock in the sex-slave mindset.


I forget the stringer's name, but the Man/Woman who changes at night is also a part;



happily, they get a happy ending in the final book.




When the Changewinds Blow front cover Riders of the Winds front cover War of the Maelstrom front cover


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...