Skip to main content

story identification - Series of books featuring dragons, enchanted forests, magic swords, etc


When I was younger I read a series of 3 or 4 books involving largely traditional mages/dragons/enchanted forests. I'd like to buy it for some of my younger extended family members but I can't remember the name of it.


Here's what I remember from this:




  1. I read the last book first, in which the son of a woman turned out to be largely one of the main characters in the other books takes an enchanted sword into a forest on a quest to do something.




  2. At one point in one of the earlier books the group was travelling through a swamp like area to get to a tower where a witch(or mage lived).





  3. There was a king (possibly the son's father) who was frozen in a castle during the last book.




  4. The evil mages/witches would melt (but not die) when some spell was cast on them.




  5. I read the series circa 1992 (estimated), comparable to the DragonLance series it was geared towards a younger audience (I don't remember any sex/brutal slayings of anyone).





  6. I believe in the first book the mother of the son in the last book runs away from home and becomes something of a maid to a dragon.




  7. I can't remember if there were evil dragons or not, I seem to remember that at least some of them were good (or at least largely neutral).




If I think of any other details I'll add them.



Answer



This is The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, by Patricia C. Wrede. It's a 4 book series. The books are Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, and Talking to Dragons.


The first book was originally published in the UK under the title Dragonsbane, so you may remember that title instead.



One cover of the first book (you may not have seen this particular cover design, there are others)


image


Blurbs from wikipedia, for the first book, Dealing with Dragons:



In which Princess Cimorene of the kingdom of Linderwall decides that being a princess is too boring and confining, leaves home to work for the dragon Kazul, and discovers and subsequently dissolves a plot by the wizards to take control of the King of the Dragons.



Searching for Dragons:



In which Cimorene meets the King of the Enchanted Forest, Mendanbar. With their new friends, they collaborate to rescue Kazul—now the King of the Dragons—from the wizards who have captured her in the Enchanted Forest.




Calling on Dragons:



In which Morwen discovers that the wizards have stolen Mendanbar's sword, which kept them from stealing the Enchanted Forest's magic, and works with Cimorene to retrieve it.



Talking to Dragons:



In which Daystar, Cimorene and Mendanbar's son, is sent off into the forest with his father's sword and no knowledge of his heritage. It was written and published first, and then revised later to better fit with the prequel books.



Your descriptions, in the order you gave:





  1. There's a magical sword belonging to the king of the forest that evil wizards want. The sword isn't only in this book, but Daystar is. Daystar is the son of Cimorene and the only person who can handle the sword,



    as he is the heir to the position of king of the forest. He's Mendanbar's son.





  2. In the third book, Calling on Dragons, they end up trekking through a swamp full of invisible plants that will strangle you.





  3. A major plot point is:



    the king of the forest, Mendanbar, is trapped in the castle by the wizards, and only his heir (Daystar, his son) can free him.





  4. The wizards melt in soapy water with a hint of lemon. The good guys eventually make a spell to squirt this on the wizards, so they don't have to lug buckets around.




  5. Definitely accurate, almost no people die. A dragon is poisoned in the first book, but that's all I can remember.





  6. Cimorene runs away from home in the first book, because she doesn't want to be a traditional princess. She ends up being a "princess" to the dragon, basically a maid.




  7. The dragons were mostly good, though some weren't very nice. In Dealing with Dragons,



    a dragon named Woraug poisons another dragon to try to usurp the throne.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...