Skip to main content

story identification - Young Adult novel - Aliens with triangular cinnabar eyes rule the Earth


I'm almost certain I read this in the summer of 1980, though it may have been the summer before that. It was a paperback, probably young adult but could be adult, and I think most of the artwork on the cover was in green tones. I also remember it as being a stand-alone novel, not part of a series.


In the story, aliens have ruled the earth for a long time. I want to say the aliens have made the Earth park-like and some characters ride horses, however, it may just be the elite alien's estate that is park-like? In their natural form, the aliens are 6-fingered humanoids, but the ones stationed on Earth go through a transformative process that makes them look almost completely human. The only thing they can't change is their eyes, which are triangular and cinnabar colored.


They've ruled here for long enough that the main character (male) has been raised since childhood (maybe birth?) in their service, and has never left earth. He's extremely loyal and has some special status that causes him to become the student of an elite alien? However, things have reached a point where the aliens decide to abandon Earth. (Human uprising I think?) For some reason, the alien protected by the main character stays behind, and they both end up on the run. I want to say the alien was female, is definitely high ranking, and stays behind because only an alien could operate the transport or the transformation machine or something for the rest? I think the destination they are trying to reach is some special location (on Earth) where technology exists to send her home, and that they succeed.


The only other detail I can remember is that the last alien has a bunch of zoo animals released before they go on the run because the societal collapse that will follow the alien abandonment of Earth means the animals won't be cared for anymore.


Later edit: As noted in the comments this seems to match many of the elements asked about by @Lorendiac "Old SF novel about a white-haired young woman, alien or half-alien, who tutors human kids" In addition to what I've mentioned above, these details also match up:



  1. The book was on loan to my local library from the local middle or high school library, and so was probably not aimed at full adults. (However, I was already testing at a grade 10 reading level when I was in the 4th grade, so my idea of what constitutes "young adult reading level" may have been seriously skewed!)

  2. The alien is tutoring 2 humans, 1 male & 1 female, who I remember as being in their late teens or early 20's. In my memory, the male student is the POV character, but it could have been the alien teacher.


  3. The alien has an unusual, but still human, hair color. Most likely white or silvery-white. After they go on the run she keeps it covered and wears sunglasses to pass as human. At a key point in the story, her hair is seen by an enemy but another character manages to bluff their way out of it. (Or almost does?)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

languages - Do we ever see written English in the Star Wars films?

In Empire Strikes Back , we see a transcription of what R2's beeps and bloops mean, but it's not English (sorry for the low quality, it's from the 2004 DVDs): I'd assume it's what Basic looks like when written, but is there some point in the the Star Wars films we see written English instead? (This sort of spun off from a discussion in How do people understand astromech droids? .) Answer At one point there was English but it has been phased out in subsequent versions of the films. Chris Gould at DVD Active did a comparison of all versions of each of the Star Wars films, and in his comparison of Episode 4 , there are a couple of screenshots showing how the power gauge for the Death Star tractor beam was changed. I imagine there are probably more to be found in his other comparisons but I haven't got around to reading those yet.

Was the "pure soul" of Harry's what had really hurt Voldemort?

In the Order of the Phoenix, Voldemort possesses Harry, and it hurts. Greatly. I think that Dumbledore explained that it was because Voldemort's rotten soul was incapable of assimilating Harry's pure soul, that Voldemort didn't understand the love and friendship etc that Harry has in his heart. But, I think it was a lie. Remember that in Deathly Hallows, while looking for information regarding Horcruxes, it is discovered that it is in fact possible to merge a soul fragment back, but that the process was extremely painful. Now then, if Voldemort tried to possess Harry, and Harry had a fragment of Voldemort's soul, I think that it could have been the true cause of Voldemort's pain: the fact of having his soul so close of another fragment. I think that Dumbledore knew that fact, but had to lie to Harry because it was inappropriate to let him know that he had one of Voldemort's soul fragments at the moment. Is that right? Or was it truly the pure soul of Harry's...

star wars - What "exactly" happens when someone turns to the Dark Side?

When I saw the original Star Wars saga as a kid, the concept of the Dark Side imprinted in me was quite simple. You did a bad thing, so you're a bad person so you go to the Dark Side and keep doing bad things. Now, obviously this doesn't hold true in reality. In my mind it is perfectly reasonable for Luke to kill the Emperor and Vader and then just flee the Death Star and rejoin the Alliance. After all they are at war, those are enemy officers that have captured him and are taunting him by threatening with death of all loved ones and the whole operation was intended to kill the Emperor anyway. The same would hold true for Anakin. He could have killed Mace Windu to save the Chancellor and Padme but that doesn't mean he's going to then go mad and kill all Jedis including children. It doesn't add up from a merely psychological point of view. He had a set of objectives and that made him want to keep the Chancellor alive (quite valid by the way, Mace Windu is quite clums...

star trek - Warning regarding forward saucer section in Nemesis?

In Star Trek: Nemesis , just before the Enterprise rams into the Scimitar, Picard sends a text message from his captain's chair arm pad to Troi — who is manning the helm in lieu of the crewman who was just blown out through what was once the view screen — indicating that she should put full impulse on standby. (Literally, if you watch the scene closely, Troi's console prefaces the order with "TXT MSG" !) My question is: Did Picard also somehow warn crew members in the forward saucer section about what was about to happen? The ramming of the Scimitar was a heat of the moment decision. Considering that he also resorted to calling the auto-destruct sequence shortly after (which ended up being offline), he probably was of the mindset that any losses would be acceptable in order to hault Shinzon's march to Earth. Still, I'm curious. Answer The original script indicates that he called for the crew to " brace for impact ". Whether that call (or the comma...